Sunday, May 20, 2007

A finished Luna Moth - and my first ever post.




I've finished my first Luna Moth! I say first because I've got plans for two more - one for my son's teacher who is moving to New York soon, and one for myself. This is a photo of my daughter Rachel modeling it before it was wrapped as a gift.

I really enjoyed making this, and though I never did manage to memorize the pattern it went surprisingly fast - cast on May 1st, final cast off on May 15th. I gave it to my best-friend (since second grade) for her birthday today - it is a big birthday (one of those ends-with-a-zero ones) so I wanted it to be really special. She is also a professional chef (with a national reputation no less!) and does attend some pretty swanky affairs and she said that it'd be a perfect accessory so I'm really tickled that she liked it.














I made it in black Rowan Kidsilk Night and added a line of small Swarovski crystal beads on the final half-repeat starting at each point and going in. Try as I might I couldn't get the crystals to show in the picture... the kidsilk has a bit of silvery sparkle to it and the crystals set it off nicely. I initially knit it as instructed but when I cast off I realized it was a bit small, so I pulled out the cast-off (a painful process thanks to the mohair) and added two more repeats.

Now I just need to find the right color for the teacher - she asked for blues or greens & I'd love to find something like the teal color in Elann's Highland Wool but in a yarn like the Super Kydd. Any ideas?

-Melanie

10 comments:

Grace said...

Its beautiful Melanie and I could see the beads even before you mentioned they were there. Really gorgeous work!

Romi said...

That is just gorgeous! Lovely. :)

LisaW. said...

wowza...the beads and KSH really dressed that shawl up! beautiful job. NIce to know this is such a versatile pattern.

Joan said...

Melanie, that is spectacular! And in laceweight to boot. Love the addition of the delicate beads. SK's pattern is so versatile.

sk said...

Beautiful, Gorgeous, Lovely, Spectacular, and Mysterious looking shawl.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, how can you part with that gorgeous shawl??? I love Kidsilk Haze, and the addition of beads brings it over the top. Beautiful!

Billie said...

Melanie, the beads are such a nice touch. Can you tell me how? I was thinking of adding some to the bottom of my Luna, too, but I wasn't sure if I could get all that patterning and beading and just general organizing all happening at the same time! Any hints??? Thanks, in advance!

smariek said...

Adding beads is a graet way to dress up the shawl. Is it difficult to work with Kidsilk Haze?

Anonymous said...

Melanie, all I can say is Wow, too!
What a great gift for your best friend, I can just see it worn at a very dressy affair, floating kid silk and subtly glimmering crystals!

benne said...

Melanie, that is stunning! I love the KSH and the beads are perfect. That is a very special gift.