Sunday, May 20, 2007

Planned to start Moonlight Sonata but.....

I had bought some beautiful torquise cashmere yarn to make this beautiful shawl, but while looking through my stash today I found some lace weight silk by Fleece Artist. It was screaming at me "sonata" so after lunch today I got out my swift and ball winder to put this into a proper center pull ball and get started. Round and round the swift was going and then all of a sudden it was stuck I gave it a bit of a tug cause sometimes this happens with hand dyed yarn, they stick together and a tug will do the trick. NOT THIS TIME. It is now 5:36 ct and I have about 1/3 of the 600 m skein untangled. I quit after 5 hours and was ready to throw it away. DH jumped in and took over cause he loves doing things like that, he has the patience of a saint. It is as if the skein was not tied correctly and part of the loops were on the wrong side of the skein.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Hopefully I'll cast on tomorrow and have a little something to show you.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Patricia, I have thrown out Sea Silk yardage that got knotted on the winder. It's a real drag. You need to go paralyzingly slow. Someone on the About Forum once suggested to me (when I complained about winding Sea Silk) that a paper towel roll cut to size and slipped over the center of the winder will create a surface for the slippery yarn to hold onto & it works! I could never have the patience to unknot that fiber..good luck! BTW, you are really knocking off those shawl WIPs!

Grace said...

i had a Cherry Tree hill lace that was 2400 yards, before I had a ball and swift It took us 2 nights to get this wound. And a skein of Schaefer Elaine that was a nightmare!!

smariek said...

I've never used a swift before, but I feel your pain. I'm thinking all laceweight yarns should come in cones?

benne said...

Oh, Patricia, that's a nightmare. Yep, I've done the same thing with some CTH babyloop mohair. It took days to untangle it. I almost threw the whole mess in the trash too.